- Details of fundraising scheme announced
- Date: 30 July 2009
- HEFCW has announced the details of a new three-year, £10 million fund designed to encourage universities in Wales to boost their ability to raise funds from voluntary giving. Originally announced by the Welsh Assembly Government in December 2008, the Matched Funding Scheme for Voluntary Giving will provide additional funding to higher education institutions which receive eligible gifts of cash or shares from individuals or organisations. The Scheme, which will give the least experienced fundraising institutions an additional flat sum of £20,000 to help get things started, will encourage Welsh universities to develop their fundraising capacity and help inspire past students and others to give donations which will then be matched by government funding. The Scheme should also stimulate further investment in higher education from private investors. The Assembly’s Education Minister will launch the scheme formally in the autumn. A similar scheme was launched in England in May 2008. For more details, see our Voluntary Giving pages.
- Appointment of Council members
- Date: 17 July 2009
- The Welsh Assembly Government is currently recruiting up to four part-time members required for the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW) 3-year fixed-term contract, 1.5 days a month £5,004 p.a. This is your chance to play a key role in helping to shape, fund and raise quality standards within the Higher Education (HE) sector throughout Wales. With your knowledge of the changing HE sector and the challenges it faces, both in the UK and internationally, you will help universities to meet the social, economic and cultural needs of Wales. This will involve attending eight meetings a year, mostly in Cardiff, with some at other locations in Wales For an application pack and further details, please contact Public Appointments Unit, Welsh Assembly Government, Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3NQ. Tel: 029 2082 3416 or fax: 029 2082 6869 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Closing date for receipt of applications: 13 August 2009. Interviews: 29 and 30 October 2009. We promote and integrate equality of opportunity into all aspects of our business. We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently under-represented including women, minority ethnic communities and disabled people. The principles of fair and open competition will apply and appointments will be made on merit. You can request a large print, Braille or audio version of this advert by calling 029 2082 3416.
- HEFCW Annual Public Meeting
- Date: 21 January 2009
- The 2008 HEFCW Annual Public Meeting took place on 9 December 2008 at the University of Glamorgan’s ATRiuM building in Cardiff city centre. Staff from higher education institutions, partner bodies and others with an interest in higher education attended. We launched our latest Annual Report at the meeting. You can download a copy here. Alternatively, please email email@example.com if you would like a hard copy.
- University Wins Business and Sustainability Award for Environmental Reporting
- Date: 21 January 2009
- University Wins Business and Sustainability Award for Environmental Reporting Swansea Metropolitan University (SMU) has beaten a strong field of contenders to win the Wales Business and Sustainability Award 2008 for its environmental reporting for organisations with more than 50 employees. The judges were particularly impressed with the extensive information provided to students, staff and visitors. Recent achievements have included the publishing of an annual sustainability report, the achievement of Fair Trade status, and the Green Guide provided to staff and students. SMU has been formally committed to environmental improvement since 1998 and has won a number of awards for its achievements both in organisational management and in curriculum.