Higher education providers
Higher education (HE) in Wales is offered mainly through nine universities, and a number of further education colleges.
We regulate areas including: the full-time undergraduate student fees received by institutions providing higher education; and the quality of education provided by, and on behalf, of those institutions.
We allocate funds for education, research and related activities at universities, and fund certain HE courses at FE colleges.
All regulated institutions will be subject to all of our regulatory powers. Regulated institutions are institutions in Wales that are charities and provide higher education. All regulated institutions must have an approved fee and access plan in order to charge up to the maximum course fee limit.
Before approving a fee and access plan, we will have been satisfied that the regulated institution has adequate quality of education, is financially viable, and has suitable arrangements for the organisation and management of its financial affairs.
Regulated institutions’ obligations include:
- ensuring that regulated course fees do not exceed the applicable fee limit
- complying with the general requirements of an approved fee and access plan
- taking into account HEFCW guidance on quality
- taking into account advice in relation to provision which is, or is likely to become, inadequate in terms of quality
- complying with any requirement imposed by the financial management code
The following institutions (in bold) are regulated institutions in Wales, and those institutions in brackets provide full time education on behalf of the regulated institutions (often under franchise relationships).
- Aberystwyth University (Coleg Cambria, Coleg Gwent)
- Bangor University (Grŵp Llandrillo Menai)
- Cardiff University
- Cardiff Metropolitan University (Bridgend College, Cardiff and Vale College)
- Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
- NPTC Group of Colleges
- Swansea University (Coleg Cambria)
- University of South Wales (Bridgend College, Cardiff and Vale College, Coleg Gwent, Coleg y Cymoedd, Gower College Swansea, NPTC Group of Colleges, Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, The College Merthyr Tydfil)
- University of Wales Trinity Saint David (Coleg Sir Gâr, Pembrokeshire College, NPTC Group of Colleges, Gower College Swansea)
- Wrexham Glyndŵr University (Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, NPTC Group of Colleges, Barking and Dagenham College)