Complaints about regulated institutions

Under the Higher Education (Wales) Act 2015, HEFCW may become involved in issues with regulated institutions in the following areas:

We may also become involved where:

  • There are issues in respect of a failure by a funded institution to comply with HEFCW’s Memorandum of Assurance and Accountability or
  • A relevant higher education body (a university or other specified HE provider in Wales) has failed to comply with its Prevent duty.

We cannot review any areas that are outside of our remit such as disputes between students or staff and their institutions. All institutions have their own complaints and appeals procedures, including on matters of academic performance and staff grievances.

Please carefully read the following relevant documentation before completing our complaints form:

We expect that the institutions’ own complaints processes have been completed before initiating our complaints process unless there is good reason that this has been avoided.

If your complaint does not fit the above areas, the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) operates the statutory complaints handling scheme for higher education students in Wales and England and may be the more appropriate organisation to contact. It has a wide remit to consider complaints about acts and omissions of its member providers, although the OIA cannot look at complaints about admissions, academic judgment, student employment and matters which are the subject of Court or Tribunal proceedings, unless those proceedings have been ‘stayed’ or ‘adjourned’.

More information about the OIA Scheme, including a list of higher education providers which are members and guidance on how to make a complaint to the OIA, can be found on the OIA’s website.

Continue to complaint form