Welsh Government Higher Education Policies
The Policy statement on higher education sets out Welsh Government’s current priorities for higher education as:
- interacting with businesses to stimulate innovation and economic growth
- working to enhance the employability of all graduates, whatever their age, background or course of study
- working in partnership with the Welsh Government to development international links
- collaborating with further education providers to ensure that opportunities to progress are available to learners
- making best use of opportunities to exploit new technologies
- striving to provide the highest quality learning experience to all those with the potential to benefit
- developing the sector's reputation for excellence in research
- continuing to support the development of Welsh-medium higher education
- developing more flexible models of provision to build a more successful and sustainable future
The plan acknowledged the role which higher education (HE) played in the social, cultural and economic development of Wales. It also set out a range of expectations for HE with a particular focus on the Welsh Government’s priorities of social justice and supporting a buoyant economy.
Details of actions, measures and timelines for delivering the plan were included in our Corporate Strategy 2010-13.
The Welsh Government's previous long-term strategy for higher education in Wales from 2002 was Reaching Higher.