Information for governors
We provide here links to key sources of information on leadership, governance and management for higher education institutions (HEIs).These should help higher education (HE) governing bodies ensure that:
- the governance arrangements at their institutions are in line with best practice
- they are better able to meet their responsibilities for setting the strategic direction of the institution and monitoring institutional performance
- their institutions are making use of available opportunities for leadership and management development
Our position is that governing bodies and audit committees of HEIs in Wales should conduct themselves in line with the CUC's principles and practices, and that where they differ then this should be explained and made public.
The CUC has produced a range of authoritative guidance material for governing bodies of HEIs.
The LFHE provides support and advice on leadership, governance and management for all the UK HEIs. The LFHE website contains details of the range of support available and information on its training and development programme, events and research projects.
A governance website hosted by the LFHE was launched in 2009. It contains a range of key resource for governors, council members and others interested in governance in higher education.
Higher Education Wales, on behalf of the Chairs of Higher Education Wales, organises an annual training event each autumn for new and existing HE Governors in Wales, which normally includes a presentation from HEFCW's Chief Executive.
We have brought together a selection of performance information for governing bodies in an Information Toolkit, comprising:
- a range of reports, presented graphically wherever possible, demonstrating the performance or position of the Welsh Sector and individual institutions in a broader UK context.
- details of a range of existing useful data and information resources