- HEFCW Annual Public Meeting
- Date and time: 09 December 2008
- Members of the public are invited to attend HEFCW's 2008 Annual Public Meeting on Tuesday, 9 December 2008. This will be an opportunity to ·Reflect on recent achievements in higher education in Wales · Hear about and discuss future issues affecting universities and colleges in Wales, including maintaining competitiveness through changing the shape of the sector · Receive a copy of our latest Annual Report · Network with colleagues over tea, coffee, mince pies and Welsh cakes. Refreshments from 9.30 am, Meeting from 10.00 am to 11.30 am at the University of Glamorgan's ATRiuM Building in central Cardiff. To let us know in advance if you can make it, call 029 2076 2284 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2008 Supporting Looked After Children and Care Leavers in Higher Education Conference
- Date: 12 November 2008
- We would like to invite you to the 2008 Supporting Looked After Children and Care Leavers in Higher Education Conference on Wednesday 12th November 2008, at the Mercure Holland House Hotel, Cardiff. This important conference will: · recognise the progress made by the Welsh higher education sector in developing plans and provision to support looked after children and care leavers to and through higher education, · provide a discussion forum for policy-makers and practitioners working with looked after children and care leavers; · showcase widening access to higher education activities in Wales, including the Reaching Wider initiative.
- Informing HEFCW’s approach to quality enhancement for higher education
- Date: 21 October 2008
- The current institutional review cycle: Wales (IR) is coming to an end, and a new process needs to be developed for 2009/10 onwards. Additionally, quality enhancement is increasingly on the agenda in the UK, and it is important to ensure that Wales continues to provide high quality education. We therefore employed Nigel Brown Associates to carry out consultancy work to inform our approach to quality enhancement for higher education. We are holding this event to inform the consultation on the development of the next IR process and to inform our future approach to quality enhancement. The event will be held on 21 October 2008 at the Metropole Hotel, Llandrindod Wells, Powys.
- Widening Access for Lifelong Learning: Policy and Practice in Wales
- Date and time: 19 June 2008
- We would like to invite you to the 2008 widening access conference on Thursday, 19 June 2008. This year's widening access conference is hosted jointly by HEFCW, UALL Cymru and NIACE Dysgu Cymru. It will take place on Thursday, 19 June 2008, at the St. David’s Hotel and Spa in Cardiff. Key note speakers will include: · Jane Hutt, Minister for Children, Education, Lifelong Learning and Skills · Professor Philip Gummett, Chief Executive, HEFCW This important conference will: · Address a number of higher education-related key themes around widening access policy and practice; · provide a forum for widening access policy makers and practitioners; · consider the widening-access implications of the Welsh Assembly Government’s emerging agendas and priorities, including skills and employment and the refresh of the Reaching Higher strategy for higher education; and · showcase widening access activity in Wales, including the Reaching Wider initiative. There is no charge for this conference. However, places will be limited and they will be allocated on a ‘first come, first served’ basis. Please circulate these details and booking form to interested colleagues both within and external to your organization. For further information, please contact Emma King on 029 2068 2201 or Sheridan Nott on 029 2068 2222.
- Welsh Learning and Teaching Strategies: effective practice in their development and implementation
- Date and time: 15 May 2008
- The Higher Education Academy will hold an event, ‘Welsh Learning and Teaching Strategies: effective practice in their development and implementation’, on 15 May 2008 in the Pencerrig Gardens Hotel, Llandrindod Road, Builth Wells, Powys. The event will be based on the outcomes of the Academy’s review of the new three-year Welsh Learning and Teaching Strategies 2007/08 - 2009/10 and will highlight effective practice and emergent themes in Welsh institutions. Places can be booked via the Academy’s website.
- HEFCW Conference - The International University: A View from Wales
- Date and time: 27 February 2008
- Following widespread interest in the Council for Industry and Higher Education’s (CIHE) most recent report on internationalisation, ‘Global Horizons for UK Universities’, the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW) will host a conference for senior HE sector staff on 27th February 2008 at the Park Plaza Hotel, Cardiff (9.30-15.00). The event will be opened by Jane Hutt AM, Minster for Children, Education, Lifelong Learning and Skills, and will include a presentation from Richard Brown, Chief Executive, CIHE. The day will be chaired by Professor Philip Gummett, Chief Executive, HEFCW. We anticipate that the event will be of interest to senior staff engaged in curriculum development and in international affairs, including VCs; PVCs & Heads/ Deans of Learning & Teaching, and International Affairs. Please note that space will be limited and there are only a few spaces left.