Skip to page content
Site information

Frequently asked questions

Here are the answers to some common questions, in addition to links to where you will find more information.

How do you fund universities and colleges?

Most of our funding is currently allocated by formula.

Which universities and colleges do you fund?

We fund eight universities, teaching at the Open University in Wales, some University of Wales research and a small number of higher education courses at FE colleges.

Do you fund further education (FE) colleges?

The Welsh Government is the main funder of further education colleges, although HEFCW does fund most higher education courses at FE colleges.

Can HEFCW provide funding for my study?

HEFCW does not fund students for their study.

Can HEFCW fund individual research projects?

HEFCW does not fund individual research projects. However, the Research Councils might be helpful.

I am interested in studying in Wales. Can you provide any information to help me make my choice?

Our Studying in Wales section points you towards useful websites.

I am interested in becoming a teacher. Can you give me guidance on teacher training?

Our Training to be a teacher section gives further information.

How is the quality of teaching and learning in institutions assessed?

The Quality section gives information about assessing teaching.
The Assessing Research section gives information about assessing research.

I need some statistical information on Higher Education in Wales. Can you help me?

There is some information on the statistical pages of our website.

I have a complaint against my university/college. Can HEFCW help?

We cannot become involved in disputes between students or staff and higher education institutions. HEFCW follows a formal complaints procedure in line with the Higher Education (Wales) Act 2015.

Each university and college has its own complaints and appeals, and whistleblowing procedures. If you are a staff or student complainant, you should make sure you have been through this procedure before taking further action. Taking advice from internal sources within your institution (your tutor, course representative, student welfare office or your students' union) beforehand might resolve issues informally.

If you are a student and have exhausted your university's internal complaints procedure - and have received your 'Completion of Procedures' letter - but remain dissatisfied, the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA) provides an independent scheme reviewing student complaints.

Also, see the National Union of Students website and guidance from the Competition and Markets Authority.
Skip to top of page or to page menu