University of Wales, Newport
The University of Wales, Newport can trace its roots to the Newport Mechanics Institute, which was founded in 1841. The University was established as Gwent College of Higher Education in September 1975 as a result of a merger of the Caerleon College of Education, the Newport College of Art and the Gwent College of Technology. On 1 April 1992, the College became a Higher Education Corporation, and was an Associated Institution of the University of Wales. The College formally became a University College of the University of Wales in April 1996, changing its title to University of Wales College Newport. In 2004 it became the University of Wales, Newport.