University of Glamorgan
Originally established at Treforest in 1913 as the South Wales and Monmouthshire School of Mines, the institution was designated as the Glamorgan Polytechnic in April 1970. In April 1975, it merged with the Glamorgan College of Education at Barry and was redesignated as the Polytechnic of Wales. On 1st April 1992, the Polytechnic became a Higher Education Corporation. Following the decision to allow polytechnics to adopt university title, the Polytechnic became the University of Glamorgan on 1st September 1992. In May 2006, Merthyr Tydfil College of Further Education was integrated into the University whereby it formed the core of the new Faculty of Further Education. On 1st January 2007, the University established a strategic alliance with the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama whereby the College became a wholly owned subsidiary of the University.