Cardiff Metropolitan University
|Telephone||029 2041 6070|
|Acting Vice-Chancellor||Professor Jacqui Hare|
|Chair of Governors||Dr Barbara Wilding|
Cardiff Metropolitan University can trace its heritage back to the formation of Cardiff’s first School of Art in 1865.
In 1976 four separate colleges merged to become the Cardiff Institute of Higher Education under the jurisdiction of the Local Authority.
In 1992, the Institute gained autonomy as a Higher Education Corporation and joined the University of Wales.
Taught degree awarding powers were granted by the Privy Council in 1993. In 1996 the Institute became a University College within the University of Wales and changed its name to the University of Wales Institute, Cardiff (UWIC).
In 2003, UWIC achieved full Constituent Institution member status of the University of Wales.
In 2009 UWIC attained research degree awarding powers. In 2011, following formal the Privy Council’s confirmation of University Title, the Board of Governors resolved to invoke the institution’s degree awarding powers, secede from the University of Wales and, after consultation, adopt the name Cardiff Metropolitan University.
Cardiff Metropolitan University's buildings are all within easy reach of Cardiff city centre. There are two teaching campuses, at Cyncoed and Llandaff, and a separate residential campus, also at Llandaff.
|Academic profile 2014/15 (Source: HEFCW End of Year Monitoring Survey)|
|Total student enrolments||9,284|
|Full-time student enrolments||7,986|
|Sandwich year out student enrolments||21|
|Part-time student enrolments||1,277|