|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Elizabeth Treasure|
|Chair of Council||Dr Emyr Roberts|
Founded in 1872, Aberystwyth was the first university institution to be established in Wales. It is one of three colleges that originally formed the federal University of Wales in 1893. University title was granted by the Privy Council with effect from September 2007. The College of Librarianship of Wales merged into the University in 1989, the Welsh Agricultural College in 1995 and the Institute of Grassland and Environmental Research in April 2008. As of the 2008/09 academic year, it had over 10,000 registered students and 2,100 staff.
The University has a multi-campus location. Most of the University buildings are located on the campus at Penglais, which has been developed since the 1950s. Some departments are located at Llanbadarn, and the earlier University buildings are in the main part of the town on the sea-front. Gogerddan, some three miles to the north of town, houses research facilities for the newly established Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences and a number of University support services.
|Academic profile 2015/16 (Source: HEFCW End of Year Monitoring Survey)|
|Total student enrolments||8,475|
|Full-time student enrolments||6,625|
|Sandwich year out student enrolments||95|
|Part-time student enrolments||1,755|
Note: data is subject to rounding.